Switching on my Clix at the gym the other evening I was greeted by the error “To play this track you must sync your device to your PC“. A gym session feels a lot longer with only music channels to listen to!
I was sure I’d synchronised my device with Napster recently but to be sure I tried again and even transferred some new songs across to see if that helped but still, the same error for every napster song. I tried a firmware update but was on the latest version and so I decided a format was my only option and should sort out everything – wrong!
As a last resort, I thought I’d contact Napster support who were actually very helpful (at stay open til 9pm)! They walked me through some steps that would force my device to reload its play for sure licenses. It didn’t work when I was on the phone to them but I tried the same process again afterwards and somehow, it worked!
After a quick google of the problem I found that a number of people have experienced similar problems with no resolution. If you are one of these people, try this:
- Format your device
(may be optional)and unplug it from the computer.
- Open windows media player and right click on the “Sync” button.
- Click on “More options..” and go to the “Privacy” tab.
- At the bottom click on the “Clear History” and “Clear Cache” buttons.
- Close windows media player.
- Go to this microsoft support page and download the relevant package for your PC.
- Go to the napster support site and download the file named “DR1009.exe” which should force napster to reload the licenses. (Please note the disclaimer at the top of the support page).
- Restart your computer and synchronise your device.
This process worked for me second time, I think the first time I messed up by leaving me device plugged in. I just hope this helps other music deprived Napster users.
Warning: Declaration of Social_Walker_Comment::start_lvl(&$output, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker_Comment::start_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /home/customer/www/arronwoods.com/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/social/lib/social/walker/comment.php on line 18
Warning: Declaration of Social_Walker_Comment::end_lvl(&$output, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker_Comment::end_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /home/customer/www/arronwoods.com/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/social/lib/social/walker/comment.php on line 42
Dude, you have no idea how much this post helped me out. I’ve been so frustrated with the iriver clix for this reason — it’s been neglected for months because they didn’t have a fix.
Now it works as it should!!
Mine has just done it again – grr.
I get a couple of hundred people a month looking for an answer to this problem come here. There is definitely something up with the iriver, but nobody seems to want to listen. Unless its just the play for sure stuff in general?
I have had this same problem with my iriver Clix 8gb but with Rhapsody. On June 10th all of a suddon none of my new music would play and it’s all purchased. I called Iriver they told me to upgrade to the new frim ware I did still no luck.I formattted the device put all the music back on still no luck. I was so confused if the problem was with the Clix or with Rhapsody. I then decided to down load Napster. Iriver told me to down load Windows media player 11 I did and it took all the music into it’s library and everything seems too be working just fine with Napster and windows media player 11.
I had this problem with an iRiver Clix and Napster. For me, reformatting, setting the correct date/time on the device and then transferring tracks from Napster fixed the issue.
I also had this problem and simply formated and reset the date and time and the tracks from Napster transferred just fine. I’m sure all of those steps work but this was much easier!! 😉